If I am passionate about one of my hobby’s: It is hand lettering. I started hand-lettering back in 2015. First, I wrote some quotes once a month, but now I almost write a quote or words every day.
How did that happen? This happened for several reasons. I started to get more and more interest in hand lettering, and I learned how to develop my style. Because I was so obsessed with learning new methods and techniques, I couldn’t resist to hand-letter every day.
I also hand letter way more than a few years ago because I opened my own Etsy Shop. In this shop, I sell printables, and you guessed it: I sell printables of hand-lettered quotes.
So how did I learned hand lettering?
I started self-taught. I bought materials to work with like brush pens, parallel pens, etc. I practiced hours and hours, downloaded worksheets, and practiced more. I loved it that I was able to see my improvement.
After a few months, I discovered Skillshare. In case you have no idea: Skillshare is an online platform with over 3.000.000 students and 17.000 classes where you can learn new skills. There is a wide variation of hand lettering classes available, but also other classes.
These classes are divided into four different categories. Let me walk you through:
- Creative: Here you can take courses like Drawing, Painting, Design, Photography, Hand Lettering, but also Music- and Film production.
- Business: In this category, you can attend classes like Finance, Marketing Sales, Freelance and even more.
- Technology: In this class, you can learn all about The Web- and Mobile development, IT security, Game Design and so on and so on.
- Lifestyle: In this category, you can learn Teaching, Wellness, Culinary, Home Business and even languages.
And to make things even better: If you click this link, you can get two free premium months of Skillshare. That will save you $30! You can cancel anytime you want. That means you will have two months to try out all those hand lettering classes on Skillshare for free! Amazing right?! Scroll down to see a mini in-depth tutorial.
I have tried so many hand lettering classes that amazed me all (Since Skillshare only has professionals on their team). But I still created a top 5 of Skillshare hand lettering classes that surprised me the most. Those five categories go from hand lettering for beginners, to hand lettering on weird surfaces, and even a lesson where you will learn how you can digitize your hand lettering work.
Hand Lettering Essentials For Beginners
Mary Kate not only has a beautiful name, but she also teaches you how to create cute hand lettering quotes.
She will teach how to Hand Letter for beginners. So if you don’t have any experience when it comes to hand-lettering: This class is made for you! Mary Kate already inspired over 50.000 people with her expertise. My hand lettering skills have been skyrocket since I have watched her class.
What I like about her class is that she creates close up videos, so you can see everything that she creates in detail.
Her class has 12 lessons, and in every video, she shares as much detail as possible. She not only shows you how you should sketch, but she also shows her recommended materials.
Here is what Mary Kate will cover for you in her Hand Lettering class:
- Tools: In this video, she explains all her recommended tools, and she gives a demonstration of each one.
- Lettering Warm Up: Here she helps you brainstorming. She makes it so easy for you to develop your style.
- Understanding Hand Drawn Lettering: In this class, she gives a brief explanation about how to understand hand lettering. And to learn even more: She also covers the common mistakes most people make when they try to hand letter.
- Sketching and Refining: In this part, Mary Kate will teach you how to sketch professionally and efficiently. She will also show you how you can refine your sketch, so everything becomes more evident.
- Final Inking: Here you will learn how you can ink your sketch to make it last.
Click here to get two free premium months of Skillshare so that you can take Mary Kate her hand lettering class immediately. You won’t regret it.
Writing on Weird Stuff: Hand-Lettering on Various Surfaces
If you want to learn how to write on other surfaces than paper: Search no more! Ashley Buzzy teaches you in this class how to weird on ‘’Weird Stuff’’.
If you are getting along with hand lettering on paper, you could level up your calligraphy game by starting to hand-letter on different surfaces. Ashley has some fantastic tracing hacks for you so you can make sure your design will be the same as on the sketch.
Aaaaand the adult award goes to… Yeah, not to me…
In this class, you will learn how you can hand-letter on five different surfaces:
- Wood: To start, she will teach you how to write on wood. This gives a fantastic effect, and if you ever want to sell hand-lettered signs: This class is made for you!
- Glass: Ever wanted to create easy 3d art? Create an artwork, frame it, and write on the glass of the frame. And voilá! Your 3D artwork!
- Stone: Writing on stone sounds weird at first, but imagine that your garden will get decorated with custom stones. That looks amazing, right?
- Fabric: Writing on fabric is a fantastic idea if you want to start your clothing line. And Ashley makes sure it is easier than it looks.
- Food: Yes, I am for real! She even teaches you how to write on food. So food bloggers, pay attention: This is a great way to photograph your lemons uniquely. Just write on the fruits and start shooting original photos.
So if you are ready to ditch the regular paper, click here to sign up for Skillshare (The first two months are free) so you can start with this class right away!
Hand Lettering Techniques: Exploring Letterforms Through Monograms
Have you ever heard of a monogram? Monograms are two or more letters that are overlapping or interlocking that form a unique mark. These marks help to identify the ownership of a brand. Think of Chanel, Tiffany & Company, Louis Vuitton, etc.
In this Skillshare course, you will learn how you can create your monogram. Will Pay hosts this class, and he does such unusual jobs when it comes to creating monograms.
So if quotes and long words aren’t your cups of tea, then this class would be an excellent fit for you.You will learn how you can create fabulous monograms with only 2 to 4 letters.
This is how my monograms turned out after taking this class.
Not only this class helps you which letters you should use, but it also shows you unique techniques how to create highlights and shadow effects. Those methods are a great takeaway to implement in your other hand lettering pieces.
Here is what you will learn during this class:
- The anatomy of letters: This part of the course is so unusual. Seriously. Will teaches you how you can create tons of variations from 1 letter. He shows you to get out of your comfort zone, and that is something I like about this class.
- On the street: In this video, Will takes you with him on the streets, to show inspiration is everywhere (For real though). He shows you that you can see letters in just everything that is surrounding you. And he also proves that you should leave your desk if you want to go for the real inspiration.
- Sketching: Here, Will shows his way of sketching. This is a great inspiration if you want to learn the various methods of outlining one letter.
- Adding weight: By adding weight to your letters, you will learn how to empathize certain parts of your monogram. In this way, some letters will come forward, and it will also create a variation to your monogram. Negative Space and Symmetry will also be discussed.
Click here to get two free months of Skillshare premium so you can start Will Pay’s class right away.
Hand Lettering With Texture: Creating Analog, Dimensional Type
In this fantastic Skillshare class, Jeff Rogers will teach you how to paint words and letters in an analog and dimensional way. He creates hand lettering artworks in different ways. Not with Calligraphy pens, but with paint and brushes.
His style reminds me of the old school typography style a few decades ago, when every advertisement was hand painted.
If you want to learn how to create excellent typography with paint and brushes: This class is a 100% match for you.
Here is what Jeff’s class will cover:
- Painting Surfaces and brushes: In those videos, Jeff will include the best services to paint on, which paint you should use for each surface, and which materials are the best for your project.
- Sketching: Here you will learn how to sketch out your project before you are going to paint it
- Preparing to paint: This step is so essential. Here, you will learn how to prepare your surface for painting. If you don’t do this, you can mess up things quickly. You will also learn how to prepare your paint, and how to build your color palette
- Painting and building layers: Here you will learn great painting techniques like building layers, and how to paint, and how to block in different shapes.
Are you ready to create your own unique hand lettered painting? Click here to claim your two free premium months of Skillshare to start Jeff’s class right away.
Digital Lettering Made Simple in Adobe Illustrator
Once you have mastered hand lettering, you might have the ambition to sell it as printable (Well I have, see it yourself in my Etsy Shop) or to merchandise. But to do that, you first need to know how you can digitize your hand lettering work in Adobe Illustrator.
Brandon Rike will show you an in-depth guide about digitizing your hand lettering. This class is perfect if you want to turn your calligraphy or any other artwork into a vectorized file.
As I already mentioned, I have my own Etsy shop where I sell digital printables. For this, I have to sketch my quotes first, and then I have to digitize it. I used to spend so much time digitizing my work. But this class made it so easy for me. Now I can cut my digitizing time in half.
Here is what Brandon will cover in his class:
- Sketching the possibilities: You probably noticed that every course I recommend so far comes with a sketching module. Sketching is such an important process when it comes to hand lettering. If you have a great sketch, you are already halfway there through your hand lettering project. And because you have a clear view, the process becomes way more natural.
- In this module, you are going to search for a font that will match your hand lettering project. You could choose to create your artwork from a sketch, or you can take the easy route to practice, and work from a font.
- Building the word: Here, you will learn how to play with the font you have chosen. Brandon will show you how to play with colors, shadows, borders, etc. This will help you to develop your style, and you can always add your variation.
- Finishing touches: In this module, Brandon will show you how to finalize your work, and perfection it even more. Think about lettering spaces, remove anchor points, make everything smoother, etc.
Ready to take Brandon’s class? Click here to claim your two free months of Skillshare premium so you can start Brandon’s class right away.
How to apply
You can sign up for two free premium months of Skillshare in 2 ways:
Go to Skillshare.com and go to the tab ”Go Premium”. From there, select the $15/month option. Now you will get redirected to the checkout page, where it says you have to pay $15. Fill in every form, and then apply the coupon code CREATIVESIDE. And voila! 2 free premium months.
Through the referral link:
Click this link. Then, you will see this small sign up form. Then, you will get redirected to the payment options. Don’t select the $0/month payment plan. If you do that, you won’t get access to all the classes. To unlock the two free months, you have to select the paid payment plan. Don’t worry, you won’t get charged within the first two months, and you can cancel anytime you want. Yes, also in your two free months period 😉
Click the Start Your Free Month button. From there, you will get redirected to the checkout page. Fill in all the forms, and if you can fill in the coupon code, make sure to fill in CREATIVESIDE.
Congratulations, now you opened a premium Skillshare account for free. You can cancel anytime you want, and you won’t be charged now.
Those were the five best hand lettering classes on Skillshare that I highly recommend to everyone.
In case you haven’t, click here to claim your two free premium months of Skillshare right now, and save $30.
If you liked this blog post, make sure to share it with your friends. And don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest.
Lots of love,
Keep on reading >> 5 reasons why you should get your ass on Skillshare right now.